Did you know that the average American school-age child throws away 67 pounds of food packaging a year? This includes plastic water bottles, sandwich baggies, and juice boxes. That equates to 18,760 pounds of lunch waste for just one average-size elementary school. That’s a lot of trash!
Next week start reducing those numbers by packing a waste-free lunch for your kids and/or for your day at work. It’s really easy, just follow these simple 5 steps and you’ll cut down your waste in no time.
5 Tips for a Waste-Free Lunch:
- Pack food in reusable lunch containers, like Kids Konserve
- Wash & reuse real silverware and cloth napkins when needed
- Store juice, water or other beverages in a reusable BPA free stainless steel bottles
- Control food portions to ensure that there are no leftovers to dispose of
- Pack it all in a reusable lunch bag or tote