Did you know…
The consumption of animal fats and proteins has been linked to heart disease, colon cancer, lung cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, kidney disease, hypertension, obesity, and a number of other debilitating conditions.
Cows’ Milk – Contains high amounts of fat and protein that is way too much for people.
Eggs – Higher in cholesterol than most foods and are the leading contributor to cardiovascular disease.
But there’s good news…
The American Dietetic Association reports that vegetarian/vegan diets are associated with reducing the risks for all of these health conditions.
A well-rounded vegan diet will contain:
- Protein – From legumes (e.g., beans, tofu, peanuts) and grains (e.g., rice, corn, whole wheat breads and pastas)
- Calcium – From broccoli, kale, collard greens, tofu, fortified juices and soymilks
- Iron – From chickpeas, spinach, pinto beans, and soy products
- B12 – From fortified foods or supplements
- Fiber – From whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans