Bathroom ventilation is the easiest & most eco-friendly way to stop mold from growing in your bathroom. Mold is one of the largest health & cleaning problems when it comes to the family bathroom. It’s hard to kill once it creeps in, and oftentimes people use harsh cleaners like bleach to eliminate it. A good way to get rid of mold & go green in your bathroom is to prevent the growth altogether. Ventilate your bathroom by placing a window (if you can), or by installing a low-power fan with a timer, which will shut off automatically.
Parents always want the best for their children. By using eco-friendly products for your babies it is a win-win situation; you are protecting our planet as well as protecting your little one from awful chemicals & toxins. The following are the top five eco-friendly products for your Green baby.
Top 5 Eco-Friendly baby Products:
1- Organic Baby Food – Give your baby the most natural food out there with either homemade baby food or store bought organic baby food.
2- BPA Free Pacifiers, Bottles, Teethers – Keep nasty chemicals away from your baby by using plastic items that are BPA free.
3- Bamboo or Soy Onesies – Protect your little ones delicate skin with soft soy or bamboo clothing.
4- Eco-Firendly Diapers – Save our landfills by using eco-friendly diapers; either cloth, biodegradable, or flushable.
5- Sustainable Wood Furniture – Preserve our forests by buying cribs, rocking chairs, and other furniture from sustainable wood.
Some might say vacuuming is a waste of energy, others like myself will disagree. That’s because carpeting acts as a collector for toxins tracked into the home from your shoes and those released from indoor sources. It also harbors dust mites and other allergens. So to reduce these hazards, I recommend a weekly vacuuming…it is worth the energy you are using.
One of my favorite things to do in the Fall is to curl up on the couch with a yummy hot cup of coco. I usually just pull out an old magazine to place my mug on so I don’t damage my coffee table, but not any more. Yesterday, I came across a great step-by-step tutorial on making a hot pad from cardboard. Not only is this a fun crafty project, but it is a great way to make something new out of something old. It’s very easy and will take you about half an hour to an hour depending on how complicated your design would be.
You will need the following:
- paper glue
Cut the cardboard perpendicular to the waves (if you look through all the layers inside of it you will see the waves – don’t cut along the waves)
Run the strips through something hard and round (like a handle of some sort) to make them more flexible and apply a small amount of glue along the perimeter
Start rolling your first strip so it would look like the photo below – easy! As the strip finishes, connect the ends with the next strip and continue
You can simply continue all the way or insert a design of your choice. In this example they made a small flower. As they added the small circles they tied them while working on the next bunch. (you can also us paperclips to hold them)
Continue until you reach the size you want. This one is about 8″
Finish it with a ribbon of your choice and …Done!!!
Thanks to Eva Foreva for sharing her awesome crafting ideas!
Love to read, but hate going to the library to check out books? Then say “Hello” to the Amazon Kindle!
The Amazon Kindle is the ultimate electronic reader. It is so simple to use with no setup, no cables and no computer required. The Kindle is completely wireless and ready to use right out of the box. It has FREE 3G wireless letting you download books right from your Kindle, anytime, anywhere; with no monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots.
The Kindle is slim & lightweight, at 10.2 ounces. It is lighter than a typical paperback and as thin as most magazines. It also has a long battery life, allowing you to read for days without recharging.
The Kindle reads like real paper, with 16 shades of gray for clear text and even crisper images. Plus the Kindle’s screen reflects light like ordinary paper and uses no backlighting, eliminating the glare associated with other electronic displays. As a result, the Kindle can be read as easily in bright sunlight as in your living room.
Other Kindle Features:
- Adjustable Text Size
- Read-to-Me Feature
- Bookmarks and Annotations
- Full Image Zoom
- Personal Document Service Via Whispernet
- Built-in Dictionary with Instant Lookup
- Wireless Access to Wikipedia
- Basic Web Browser
- PDF Document Conversion
- Listen to Music & Podcasts
- Automatic Library Backup: Re-download Your Books for Free
To fill a container of water from the tap and place it in your fridge is such a simple thing to do that provides many energy & water savings, plus benefits for your health.
- Save Energy – A pitcher full of water will help your refrigerator keep your food cool more efficiently, much like how a cold ice pack works in a cooler.
- Save Water – You won’t have to let the tap run to obtain a cool temperature, because you have cold water in your fridge already to go.
- Health Benefits – By having cool water ready to go, you’ll be more likely to drink more, keeping hydrated while avoiding sugar-loaded sodas and other alternatives.
- Health Benefits – When tap water sits for a while (particularly when uncovered), much of the chlorine that is present from the filtration plant evaporates out. This means you’re enjoying a tastier drink, and cutting down on the toxins that enter your body.
Hemp is an excellent natural sustainable resource used for many different uses including food, building materials, fabric, paper, fuel, and so on. Hemp could be one solution to many of the problems that are facing the modern world today, including deforestation, acid rain, the greenhouse effect, erosion, pollutants, starvation, and limited fossil fuels. Hemp production could also provide jobs and increased revenues to our many of our rural areas in this recession.
“Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?” – Henry Ford
Benefits of Hemp:
- Hemp can be grown pesticide, herbicide, and fungicide free
- Hemp is hypoallergenic
- Hemp is 100% biodegradable
- Hemp is a natural weed suppressor due to fast growth of the canopy
Uses & Facts About Hemp:
- Plastic Products – Hemp can replace most toxic petrochemical products. Research is being done to use hemp in manufacturing biodegradable plastic products like, plant-based cellophane, recycled plastic mixed with hemp for injection-molded products, and resins made from the oil.
- Food – Hemp seeds are nutritious and contains more essential fatty acids than any other source, is second only to soybeans in complete protein (but is more digestible by humans), is high in B-vitamins, and is a good source of dietary fiber. Hemp seeds are not psychoactive and cannot be used as a drug.
- Fabric Products – Hemp fiber is among the Earth’s longest natural soft fibers. It is more absorbent, more durable, andÂ more insulative than cotton fiber. It is also flame retardant. Plus it uses less fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides to grow.
- Paper – Hemp paper resists decomposition, and does not yellow with age when an acid-free process is used. It can also be recycled more times than wood-based paper. Hemp produces more pulp per acre than timber on a sustainable basis, and can be used for every quality of paper. Hemp paper manufacturing can reduce wastewater contamination. Hemp’s low lignin content reduces the need for acids used in pulping, and its creamy color lends itself to environmentally-friendly bleaching instead of harsh chlorine compounds. Less bleaching results in less dioxin and fewer chemical by-products.
- Wood Products – Hemp fiberboard produced by Washington State University was found to be twice as strong as wood-based fiberboard. No additional resins are required due to naturally-occurring lignins.
- Fuel – According to the Department of Energy, hemp as a biomass fuel producer requires the least specialized growing and processing procedures of all hemp products. The hydrocarbons in hemp can be processed into a wide range of biomass energy sources, from fuel pellets to liquid fuels and gas. Development of bio-fuels could significantly reduce our consumption of fossil fuels and nuclear power.
Historical Facts About Hemp:
- Hemp is among the oldest industries on the planet, going back more than 10,000 years. The Columbia History of the World states that the oldest relic of human industry is a bit of hemp fabric dating back to approximately 8,000 BC.
- George Washington & Thomas Jefferson both grew hemp.
- The first American flag was made out of hemp.
- Ben Franklin owned a mill that made hemp paper.
- Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence on hemp paper.
- Rembrandt & Van Gogh painted on hemp canvas.
- The original heavy-duty Levi pants that were made for the California 49’ers were made of rugged hemp sailcloth and rivets.
- In 1941, Henry Ford built a plastic car made of fiber from hemp and wheat straw. These days, BMW is reportedly working on its own set of wheels that replaces fiberglass matte with hemp.
Do you have unwanted guests in your garden or even in your home?
If you do, I’m sure you want to get rid of them fast and for good, but want something that is environmentally safe. Many will ask if something like that even exist? A safe pesticide?
Discover EcoSMART, the world leader in safe pesticide solutions, making the only 100% safe insecticide that is proven to work.
EcoSMART was the first company to apply modern science to essential plant oils creating the first 100% safe pesticides. Their products are based on the natural defenses that plants and trees have used for their self protection against insects and pathogens for millenia – essential oils.
University research has shown that these oils attack octopamine neuro-receptors. Octopamine is a key insect neurotransmitter that regulates insect movement, behavior and metabolism. The blockage of the receptor activity prevents the transmission of the octopamine signals, which delivers quick knock down, kill and repellency against a wide variety of household pests such as cockroaches, ants, dust mites, flies, wasps, spiders, crickets, and fleas. Their blends of natural plant oils are every bit as effective as synthetic chemicals, killing bugs fast without any toxins or harmful residues.
Since EcoSMART’s proprietary botanical oil blends attack attributes that are specific only to pests, they have no effect on people, pets or the environment. The primary active ingredients in EcoSMART products are approved as Direct Food Additives or classified as GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration. These oils are commonly used to add flavor and aroma to many cosmetic, beverage and food products, including cake, candy, sweetener, gum, soft drinks, and lipstick. Our products have no adverse effect on mammals, birds, and fish and also will not contaminate water sources.
Be smart. Be EcoSMART!
Use glass or ceramic baking dishes over the metal pans. They retain heat better than metal pans do, which allows you to set your oven temperature 25 degrees lower than what the recipe calls for, but still achieving the same great results.
Origins is introducing the Return to Origins Recycling Program, which is the first recycling program of it’s kind in the cosmetic industry!
You can bring your empty cosmetic tubes, bottles, jars, etc. – regardless of brand – to your nearest Origins retail store or department store counter anywhere in the US. All returned packaging will be sent back to a central location where products will be recycled or used for energy recovery.
Origins will accept packaging from any cosmetic company regardless of the manufacturer, which is an industry first. Origins believe that the more they collect from consumers, the more they can keep cosmetic packaging out of landfills. And they hope this program will encourage other companies into following their example.
To thank you for joining Origins in their commitment to the environment, they’ll treat you to a FREE sample of your choice of one of Origins high-performance skincare products. Now you can’t beat that!